Monday 26 November 2012

Show: Hyundai Genesis Coupe Wing Emblems

This is to partially show how I removed the stock Hyundai emblems from the Genesis Coupe and replaced them with The Genesis Wing emblem from Korea.

I really liked how the wings looked on Genesis Coupes I've seen parked around, so I had to order them when I got mine.


What I first did when I received them was to apply a few coats of clear coat onto them to add further protection from rain, snow, and salt. I also decided to give them a black background to provide a nicer contrast to my silver car.

I didn't want to add too much thickness to the emblems so I traced out the empty spaces of the emblem onto paper to make sure they fit.


When I was satisfied with the fit I traced the paper onto sheet of plastic and cut those out.


I test fit those to make sure they fit too.


I then sprayed the white plastic gloss black and added a clearcoat as well.


I stuck on some permanent outdoor mounting tape onto the plastic pieces so that they would not shift on the car.


Now came the hard part of removing the stock emblems. The rear emblem was attached with permanent mounting tape and with a screw. I removed the emblem by using a hair dryer to heat and weaken the adhesive. I then used a card, fishing line, and a pry tool to pry it off the car.


There was still some adhesive stuck to the car so I used some Isopropanol Alcohol to remove it.




I made sure the surface of the car is clean by wiping it with Isopropanol Alcohol again and then stuck on the emblem. The tape that already came with the wing emblem and the permanent mounting tape I used provided a very strong grip and I could not move the emblem after it was on (good thing I lined it up properly before installing!)

The rear stock emblem was able to be removed without damaging it, but for that to happen with the front one I'd have to remove the whole bumper. I didn't want to go through that and could just order a new stock badge if I needed to return the car to stock, so I removed it using the easier method that involved drilling through the emblem.


The front emblem is attached to the grill at 2 points by plastic rivets so you'd have to break them one way or another. I stuck my fingers through the grill and felt around for where the rivets attached and drilled where I approximated them to be. I kept drilling bits of the rivet but not the whole rivet off so eventually I just pried it off. I cleaned the area with the alcohol again and then stuck on the front emblem.

















No comments:

Post a Comment